The 1998 Willis E. Lamb Award for Laser Science and Quantum Optics
Awarded May, 1998, at Texas A&M University.
This was the inaugural year for the Lamb Award.
Subsequent awards were made at the annual
Colloquium on the Physics of Quantum Electronics.
- Ali Javan, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- For the invention of the helium-neon laser.
- Olga Kocharovskaya, Texas A&M University
- Paul Mandel, Université Libre de Bruxelles
For contributions to the study of atomic coherence
effects in masers and lasers.
Javan photo copyright © 1996 Betty Blair,
Azerbaijan International Magazine,
All rights reserved. Used with permission.
- Photo of the inaugural presentation
of the award.
Return to Lamb Award Main Page